Collection: PART THREE

P3. Reflection

This is my reflective journal for Part three, Unit 7 of this course.

PIII REFLECTION

Aim & Intention of this project:

Through this project I solely aim to highlight the impact and process of Gentrification, the recycling of land and the regeneration of London's council flats to new and modern sky scrapers. Exploring and investigating Brutalism, I intend to highlight the unseen beauty of the architectural movement by challenging myself to visit certain estates around London, such as Aylesbury during its demolition.

This would afford me the chance to experience for myself, observing the cultural link and personal element it holds especially to those evicted who called these buildings their home, all due to the value the land held, from here, would be a starting point enabling me to gather relevant primary sources such as detailed tonal drawings, line drawings and photography to fuel the process of research. Therefore, exploring why it is that Gentrification creates the situation where the wealthy are winning but the unfortunate are fighting in self defence but losing.

The outcome of this project will successfully bring to light the impact and process of Gentrification, the recycling of land and the regeneration of London's council flats to new and modern skyscrapers.

My work will primarily highlighting the unseen beauty of Brutalist architecture, the cultural link and personal element it holds especially to the residents of these buildings. Demonstrating the value land possesses creating the situation where the wealthy are winning, whereas the unfortunate are being evicted, fighting in self defence but losing.

All in all, to provoke thought “Is the land these estates are build on really worth more than the communities held within them?”

Project timetable

PROJECT EVALUATION 

Project title: The Miscarriage of Gentrification

My main intention through this project was to highlight Gentrification, as an underlying problem within the city of London which I successfully attained, but specifically in the area I live in, Peckham. Through media such as film and photography, as achieved, I set out to better convey my ideas towards members of the public. Although I didn't fully achieve all tasks I had initially set out to complete, such as face to face interviews with Londoners, the least successful aspect of my project, I overcame this problem by limiting this interaction to people whom I already knew.

However, I had changed my vision from my initial proposal, to exploring the possibility of involving members of the Peckham community. This decision further strengthened my message, as I primarily began this project to educate myself on whether Gentrification is a benefit or a disadvantage to us all as citizens and victims of the process, an example of the most successful change towards my project. Furthermore, this led to my breakthrough moment, having a major impact on my thinking, as my main aim then diverted to bringing awareness to the process of Gentrification hiding in plain sight. Therefore, for the future of this project which I will continue throughout this summer, I plan to learn more about essential interview techniques and skills, which I aimed to do so but failed as a result of lack of organisation and a limited timescale, a main factor which weakened the success of my final outcome. In order to overcome poor time management, I created an action plan, to make sure I documented and captured the existence of London’s disappearing Brutalist architecture. As I further developed in my research and findings this evoked new possibilities to pursue, both positive and negative as it collided with my action plan.

At the very start of the project, I was advised by my tutor not to lose myself in such a broad topic, as I initially planned to create a documentary featuring all parts of London currently under the attack of regeneration. Despite travelling to a few locations out of a long list of places to visit, I realised this was not a practical choice to embark the beginning of my journey. The most successful change made to my project was the decision to minimise my scope of research to Peckham, South East London. Well demonstrating more of a personal aspect to my work, allowing my audience to relate or associate themselves within the story conveyed through my project. Also, enabling me a wider variety of places to focus on, while eliminating problem of feeling overwhelmed by the pressure of well representing these areas within my documentary.

If given the chance to start my project again, I would focus more on Aylesbury estate in particular,  humanising the concrete tower blocks and the communities held within them, using my camera as a tool to allow the memories of these communities to live on forever through a series of photographs to inform others that they did once exist.

BEGINS FROM THE BOTTOM

Text box

Reflection

1. What are the critical and contextual perspectives of your proposed project?

2. How will you research, analyse and evaluate your ideas to help develop creative solutions?

3. How will you solve complex problems through practical, theoretical and technical understanding?

4. How will you adapt and use appropriate practical methods and skills for creative production?

5.How will you use evaluative and reflective skills in order to take responsibility for your own learning, development and effective decision-making?

6. How will you critically review the effectiveness and appropriateness of your planning, methods, actions and results?

7. How will you effectively present yourself and your work to appropriate audiences?

FRI 21 | 04 | 2017

Through watching countless documentaries on regeneration, the Brutalist movement of the 70s and the impact of immigration on London in the 80s, I now have generated an understanding of history, culture and diversity. I especially emphasise that this be done as soon as possible as anytime within the span of five years, the transformation of London would be in full swing.

I feel if I discussed my concerns through my project through recorded interviews with residents living in these estates, this would strengthen my project and add an element of personal anecdote to those who view the documentary/short film. I am proud of this idea as I would at least afford those I go on to interview in the future, a chance to let their voice and story be heard.

FRI 21 | 04 | 2017

Newspapers highlight extraordinary events taking place everyday, but fail to answer questions as well as simply describing what happens every day and recurs everyday. Personally, I feel this has caused the development of a culture where people accept what they read in the newspapers as fact, when in fact, what is written in newspapers is subjective. Journalists write from their perspective of the incident or event, they may include facts. Therefore, are perceived as facts but in reality are solely composed and influenced by opinion which people then mistake and accept as facts.

We tend to dismiss casual events seen everyday, taking them for granted. Hence, where the quote "You don't know what you've got until it's gone" originates from. This shows the level of control the news media possesses is significant to the type of reactions society have towards everyday events such as crime, even if on a smaller scale. This encourages me to appreciate aspects of our surroundings which we often dismiss, whether emotional or physical. Question and examine everything. 

Once demolished, the power and authority the block once possessed over the area ceases to exist. These concrete buildings standing tall once providing London with it's unique sense of culture and diversity, the council are now threatening to destruct. With my camera I use this as a tool, almost like a weapon to give these communities within these buildings a chance to live on forever in the form of photographs and in film, as an attempt to inform others that they did once exist.

Approaching the end of this project, I had composed a series of ideas for short films, including a 1920s silent film to overcome the problem of hiring audio equipment for interviews. 

THURS 20 | 04 | 2017

PREPARING FILM ON USB FOR SHOWREEL

WED 19 | 04 | 2017

Change of presentation ideas for short film, due to new source of inspiration

Youtube video by The Line Up 'BTS: Editorial Photoshoot'

TUES 18 | 04 | 2017

Documentary transcript: Final

Imagine we as a population had the chance to renew and regenerate our world. As new additions to the famous city line of London arise. Skyscrapers and new shiny glass buildings brighten up the sky, eliminating the old brutalist movement.

Regeneration brings pleasant change through economic growth and the new arrival of stylish and affordable housing.

All the expensive accoutrements of life in a trendy and urban neighbourhood. 

Without the presence of people of culture. Of course.

It's a successful method of countering urban decay and attracting taxpayers. IN OTHER WORDS RICH WHITE PEOPLE (Citizens of the Middle class)

Longtime homeowners benefit from rising property values.

As more coffee shops open, (STARBUCKS AND COSTA)

new job opportunities and construction pick up.

There are many positive impacts on the area.

A reduced crime rate, for example.

Don't get me wrong

Gentrification can strike at any time, anywhere.

-it takes a risk taker, a person with entrepreneurial spirit 

a white person to begin the process

A "Yuppie"

A Young Urban Professional

best defined as a fashionable young middle-class person with a well-paid job."

NEGATIVES

I'll tell you how it happens

For other cities, this picture of regeneration it may not work but the new influx of culture and residents can make life better for locals in plenty of ways.

It puts far less pressure on the police to stop and search every male of colour that may be hanging on the streets 

Obviously due to the reduction in crime rates
Say farewell to vandalism, graffiti and public violence

Because Gentrification is the miracle that will bring an end to homelessness, poverty, famine and encourage world peace

The first step is finding the right neighbourhood to gentrify...

For an area to be categorised as perfectly gentrifyable it must consist of the listed characteristics:

Low rent housing

a high concentration of coloured people

Locally owned ethnic shops

and opportunities for.. for.. cultural enlightenment shall we say

And once you've found a place to call yours,

make sure you settle into your area by locating some more affluent people like yourself

this way it will be much easier to demand that the local shops alter to your more white tastes and needs

would you like a

• Tall Non-Fat Latte With Caramel Drizzle.

OR a 

• Triple Venti Half Sweet Non-Fat Caramel Macchiato.

Low income people pushed out of their neighbourhoods, probably more likely to be displaced than a person of similar income in a neighbourhood that's not gentrifying. There may even be some benefits for the low-income residents that decide to stay in gentrifying neighbourhoods.

On average, credit scores of the poor residents improve in gentrifying neighbourhoods. Findings that gentrification does not lead to higher chances of low-income residents being pushed into another neighbourhood.  Secondary psychological impacts may arise as a result of displacement.

Low income folks may not have a higher rate of moving out, but when they do move, it's often to a poorer neighbourhood. And because rents and costs of living rise, it's more difficult for low-income residents to move into gentrifying neighborhood in the first place.

The new arrivals impose their culture on the neighborhoods, lower-income residents become economically and socially marginalised only leading to resentment and community conflict that feeds racial and class tensions.

Overall, leading to a loss of social diversity occurs; from the socially disparate to rich ghettos... So for no reason should it be such a highly controversial topic. 

MON 17 | 04 | 2017

Deciding on suitable voice for narration

Exploring a range of considered audio strategies to present my short film, I planned to use my own voice to narrate. However, as an attempt to make perceptive decisions I explored other methods such as using siri's voice and contacting a voice actor.

Successfully finding websites with a variety of voice actors, there was still a difficulty with contact. I also took into consideration that with each voice used a different effect can be achieved.

Using this to my advantage, I researched and found out how to download a software which would afford me the chance to experiment with a variety of voices of different accents. 

Playing around with the different accents available gave me an idea of using a posh British female accent, this would hopefully create more of a formal theme to the film. In comparison to using the accent of a teenage girl from South London such as myself.

I also tried using a female american accent however, I thought that this would distract from the topic. I also thought it would have no relation to the fact that the location of the film is solely based in London. For this reason, my final decision was to stick with the female British accent.

THURS 13 | 04 | 2017

Refining my narration script for documentary idea

After discovering a video on youtube called "How to Gentrify your neighbourhood" this gave me the idea of using juxtaposition to create tension through the story of the video and the audience. Therefore, placing further importance n why it is that Gentrification is happening in plain sight yet we dismiss it a naive matter, only choosing to see the positive impact it has on the neighbourhood, city or country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc2Uv0wEUWs&t=11s

Using this as a starting point for the development of my first draft, I plan to reread and replace the critical writing with language of a positive and persuasive manner. This will be one of the main methods adopted to transform the manner of the film to suit the attitude of an advert, selling a product. 

WED 12 | 04 | 2017

Problems with method of presentation of film in exhibition

Returning from the two week break, we were given a brief as a group in the room which had been already set up for the Foundation exhibition. This allowed me a much clearer vision the possibilities I could have achieved if I had continued my initial ideas of combining 3D and $d through video art and a sculpture piece. I figured that the monitor I would have used could have been mounted onto the wall or possibly placed on the ground, however that may cause safety issues when running cables.

Although, I have changed my ideas, Alan had made clear the significance of clearly presenting the dupporting material and other possible outcomes, in the layout of a portfolio sheet.

The point of which problems arose was when Alan had informed those who had planned to include films as part of the showcase to limit the length of their films down to two minutes. Maximum two minutes and half or include the strongest extract of the film, with this in mind, remaining aware of how the work is to be presented within our exhibition today I will create a new short film based on the final ideas I had composed last week.

The most difficult problem I face now is making the decision of being included in showreel or dedicating more time to borrowing a monitor, extension lead, carrying of a risk assessment due to the use of electricity all while making it look presentable. In an ideal world, I would choose for my video not to included as part of the showreel as a way to have my work seen and not hidden amongst a list of other videos but as time is limited I am to male a decision quickly.

TUES 11 | 04 | 2017

Change in timetable and schedule

Initially I had planned to by this time be in the final editing process, to have my film piece refined and completed by April 17th. Paying specific attention to methods of presentation, I hoped for my film to be showcase in the exhibition on its own, however this is likely to be changed due to still being in the process of experimentation. 

Discussion of project ideas amongst peers

In today's session, each of the students on my table and I took turns to discuss our initial ideas and collaborate giving feedback on areas of improvement. When it came my turn to put forward my own ideas, I proposed my aim to base my project on the gentrification and regeneration of council flats in urban areas of London, through film, photography and spoken word. I spoke about my aim to visit the main estates being victim to gentrification such as Trellick tower in West London, areas of East London and the Aylesbury estate, where I used to live in South East London.

I explained the aspect of Brutalist architecture as a significant part of my project as a whole, however I came across the problem of not being able to efficiently organise location photoshoots due to the sun going down so early as we a re in the winter season. As a solution to this, one of my peers suggested I speak to one of the tutors in order to request that I work independently off site for my photography. Therefore, I was pleased from this conversation as I gained a solution to my problem of not having enough daylight to shoot, allowing me to use and plan my time productively.

MON 10 | 04 | 2017

Considering elements in post-production for third short documentary film

Today I intended to create a third moodboard and storyboard as a plan for my very last form of experimentation with a short film, all in preparation of my final outcome to be shown at the exhibition. As I sat down to begin the moodboard I began thinking about the colours I would incorporate to achieve a certain emotion to the film, especially difficult as I aim to create two parts to the short video.

The first part of the film will consist of an upbeat and happy outlook on the regeneration of London, narrowing down on South London areas. Whereas, the second part to the short film is to be delivered in a cold and melancholic feeling, triggering negative emotions towards the topic through the audience.

Therefore, to ensure I successfully achieve this concept I decided to dedicate today to researching colour theory and colour grading done in post production, this along with other factors such as the way the narration is delivered along with the strength of the script will help me create the outcome I hope for. 

I plan for this film to be no longer than five minutes, if longer than maximum ten minutes, as I have the two other films I have created to consider to present as my final outcome.

First day back after Easter break lecture 

How the space you use demonstrates the context of your work - how to organise the space - not allowed to install prior to 21st for safety unless it's a complex install

Shifting spaces, patience, flexibility - record and reflect on this

Having work on the SHOW REEL AND in the exhibition (4D & 3D?)

Opportunity to negotiate and show off?

Learning how to manage in a group show - in preparation for art career

Learning to work without much control, having to negotiate and compromise according to the work of others

____SUPPORTING MATERIAL___
Other Project outcomes should be presented well as a portfolio sheet + details on how it would be presented (cardboard box building paintings)

- showcase technical work, video pieces - present the several different films as alternative pieces

ON A USB STICK + sketchbook - LABEL 'outcomes'

- imagine as a proposal for a solo show

________

Reflections + research must be ongoing to achieve distinction
________

Sketchbooks
Screen grabs with annotation

Post it notes in sketchbook linking to workflow

______
Written evaluation (500 words)
If i feel I achieved what I intended to
The course, development unit 7

A eureka moment, a time when I realised something
How the project has evolved and changed
(Gives context at how examiner looks at the work)

Decision making and final outcome

"Initially I did this"

"Initially I planned to show this but ended up presenting this instead"

+ further explanation
__________

Record changed plans
Failed plans
Ambitions which didn't work out and how you dealt with it

Instead of focusing on trying to make sense

-TWO WEEKS-

Submit a second timetable which reflects the reality of how the project actually went -

did everything go slowly the well at then end?

Did you work methodically?

Came across new people?
Maybe some of the texts in the Bibliography were not entirely relevant

_____
Risk assessment

Consider more involved project outcomes ?

Shelves
Cabling
Extention Leads
Splitters for headphones

FRI 07 | 04 | 2017

THURS 06 | 04 | 2017

Second idea for short film

WED 05 | 04 | 2017

Spring photoshoot in Peckham

TUES 04 | 04 | 2017

Problems with combining my sculpture with my short film

Problems

Dark area needed? - building a booth, dark curtains needed- protection for projector etc

Lack of exhibition space -how big would the sculpture be? - shoe boxes or larger sized boxes

Sound - how loud should the film be at the exhibition? Headphones? ( Only one viewer at a time)

Not wanting film to be shown on showreel - documentary 15 minutes max - promenant

Documentary should be 10/15 minutes max - condensing information/research and interviews, choosing most significant parts to be put forward

MON 03 | 04 | 2017

Change of ideas for exhibition

Considering combining 3D and 4D for final piece
(Sculpture piece alongside film)

After having a one to one discussion with Alan about how my piece will be displayed, a few questions were raised about the practicality of combining both sculpture and film into one, while maintaining its relevance.

Sculpture piece or film?

How would the sculpture piece relates to the film. 

If the estate has been fully demolished and there's no other method of collecting cut away images.

If the audio from the film is projected from inside the sculpture

FRI 31 | 03 | 2017

Final draft for gentrification documentary

WED 29 | 03 | 2017

Imagine we as a population had the chance to renew and regenerate our world, creating fresh and pristine surroundings for future generations to come.  In which incredible opportunities could result from: a greater city for tourists to admire, a new storyline is emerging as a massive improvement to The city of London.

Skyscrapers and brand new shiny glass buildings to brighten up the sky, eliminating the old stoney brutalist style. Through regeneration we aim for a stream of costs and benefits for these cities and their residents. A sign of pleasant change, a sign of economic growth with the new arrivals get affordable, stylish housing and all of the expensive accoutrements of life in a trendy and urban neighborhoods.

A successfula method of countering urban decay and attracting taxpayers, new job opportunities emerge as more stores open and construction picks up.Longtime homeowners benefit from rising property values.
There's often a decline in crime.

NEGATIVES

For other cities, this picture of regeneration it may not work but the new influx of culture and residents can make life better for locals in plenty of ways. The pressure on schools, the police helps us to improve our.

(searched benefits of gentrification)

(Use of siri voice using osx on macbook)

System preferences 
> voice 
> download siri voice (5 minutes)

Applications
>  utilities
>Terminal

Coding

MON 27 | 03 | 2017

Documentary script: Personal and biased or impersonal and factual?

When coming and sitting down to directly write the transcript to my short documentary film, I thought to myself if I wanted this short film to biased and personal to my own experience as a victim of Gentrification, or factual and objective. Overall, I knew my main aim was for the film to have an impact on the understanding of gentrification and Britain's housing crisis to my audience. The question is what would create more of an impact, to inform or to influence?

The problem encountered with solely focusing my documentary around my personal experience would be the positive or negative reaction from influencing my audience,. Due to the negative connotations I express about the process of Regeneration in London. Whereas, if I were to keep the documentary fact based and without the influence of opinion and bias, this would perhaps be more beneficial. I could recollect the individual thoughts and opinions of the topic from the audience as they would have had time to gather their own personal ideas either for or against Gentrification. 

Depending on which approach I decide to adapt the film to, there are different methods I could use to achieve various different effects. For example, from making the decision to visually include myself rather than simply just narrating the film, to 

FRI 24 | 03 | 2017

'A to Z of Gentrification' short film idea development

Through further development I have planned to create a two part short film called 'A to Z of Gentrification', the first part will highlight the positive part of Peckham, Brixton and South London. Whereas, in the second part of the video will be the same but place more emphasise on the negative stigma against these urban areas.

THURS 23 | 03 | 2017

Overcoming problems of how to exhibit video art

WED 22 | 03 | 2017

After watching  few short films fro the 'A to Z' collection on ID's youtube channel, this inspired my new idea for a second short film still centered around culture and Gentrification. The videos are usually under 4 minutes long featuring interesting shots and short extracts of speech based on the alphabet. The part I most admire about these videos is the creativity behind it, each video recontructs the alphabet to suit the theme. Whether 'A to Z of Beauty' or 'A to Z of 90s slang'.

From this discovery, tomorrow I plan to take a trip to Peckham and hopefully Brixton also, both few of the iconic areas of South London. Through the visit my aim to visually and verbally record with my camera and a notepad, my own A to Z of South London. Although I am not sure what the title of this short film will be, my initial ideas are 'A to Z of Gentrification'. Though this title is quite vague, I feel this leads the way for a wide range of possibilities, for example, not only one but two videos could be produced as an outcome or merged into a longer video. 

TUES 21 | 03 | 2017

Victoria Miro: Do Ho Suh

download.php?file=2845998&embedded=1&texundefined

Constructed from white fabric, the Exit Series, 2016 ? smaller household fixtures and fittings such as lightbulbs, doorknobs and entry buzzers bearing the names of the artist and his landlord ?appear ghostly, like the sloughed skin of a reptile, seeming almost to disappear from view. For Suh, the corporeal reference is key: ?my work always deals with the body, with skin.? 

IDEA: Observing these buildings as body and skin, in other words humans

Passage/s: The pram project (The Vic Miro)

Visiting the Vic Miro, The Pram Project part of the exhibition especially caught my eye, I was really interested in how Do Ho Suh initially came up with the concept.

I admired how he combined an everyday activity into his a video installation piece. However, I found the audio quite distracting from the video, although it fits in perfectly well. Personally I feel that the choice to divide the footage into three channels was my favourite part, as it created a sense of reality to the piece. I felt as if I was the one taking a stroll.

If I could take one thing from observing this exhibition it would be the use of three projectors to create a three channel video installation. I'm not entirely sure how I would feel about including audio as a part of the piece to allow full concentration on the video art, but I do keep in mind that if the piece has an important message of which it was produced to communicate then audio is essential.

I would argue that the motive of the video piece was not clear but and if there was anything I could do to further improve this piece it would be to improve the audio by including conversations with others, and ambient sounds of the public. I really do admire Do Ho Suh's methods of presentation, which I definitely will take into consideration for my unit 7 final piece.

MON 20 | 03 | 2017

Writing my monologue for documentary

Communities regenerate not from the outside in but the inside out. Wherever we work, rather than import a set of solutions, we begin with a process of discovery. Story of Place® is the approach we use to understand a community. It’s a systemic and participatory process that identifies and honors the unique nature of a place and the people who live there- and a powerful experience that renews a community’s spirit. Story of Place is a “regenerative approach to sustainable community development that grows a community’s capacity to discover, share, and live out a story that’s uniquely its own.” 

Story of Place helps communities develop an understanding of how they are distinctive, what uniquely “works” and “doesn’t work” there, and what larger value they can contribute to the world. 

FRI 17 | 03 | 2017

THURS 16 | 03 | 2017

Second plan for short film 

After planning for the interviews to take place this week, I decided to experiment with editing and motion graphics as a plan B. I made this decision due to the problem of getting people to commit to the interviews, especially as was a part of the documentary which I heavily relied on.

After watching a few documentaries by Louis Theroux as recommended by my tutor, I began to wonder on youtube and study the ways in which short documentaries are structured and edited as well as the different styles used while taking notes for my own. 

WED 15 | 03 | 2017

Navarro & Sobecka: Sculpture piece

Change of intial ideas - development - aim to experiment with sculpture 

Large cardboard boxes - museum of london - painting, oil paintings

Fairy lights? Cut outs for windows? Set up in a dark area

Building three buildings/blocks

TUES 14 | 03 | 2017

The museum of London: World city 

Visiting the World City exhibition on at the Museum of London this gave me an unexpected insight on a large collection of the evolution of London through the decades. Highlighting the most significant part to my investigation on the Gentrification of London, the Brutalist movement of the 70s.

I was most intrigued by the miniature photographic models which recreated a street in Hackney declared as a Ghetto. This led me to the Capital Concerns exhibition which gave me even more of an insight.

The museum of London: World City

download.php?file=2846050&view=248867&em

The Ghetto, 1994

D Photographic model designed by Tom Hunter, exactly recreating miniature two streets in Hackney condemned as a "Ghetto" by the Hackney Gazette in 1994.

MON 13 | 03 | 2017

Further research

FRI 10 | 03 | 2017

Create short trailer using footage

Problems of how to exhibit video art

When thinking about the exhibition specifications, I came across the problem of how I would exhibit my short documentary film. I wanted to avoid using valuable equipment, however I would have to use my laptop to insert the USB or provide the link to where the film would be shown. 

SOLUTION?

THURS 09 | 03 | 2017

WED 08 | 03 | 2017

Lecture talk: New Cinema & the city

By Lana Askari

_________________________________

Interviews

TRY NOT PREEMPT THE RESPONSES YOU WANT TO HEAR.

SILENCE.

Plans to borrow from Central loan store

TUES 07 | 03 | 2017

Plans to borrow from Central loan store

- I plan to make the most of audio and filming equipment from Central loan store before it closes for the easter holidays.

- If unable to borrow from central loans store, using Alan's advice take advantage of Argos' 30 day return policy and see if it's possible to borrow a microphone, sound recorder and boom pole.

MON 6 | 03 | 2017

Final cut pro

Visual experimentation with footage

FRI 3 | 03 | 2017

Project experimentation  through 4D (Photography and film)

THURS 2| 03 | 2017

Refine and complete  final PPP, Action Plan and bibliography to Workflow

Experiment with drawing and digital painting

-Reach out to contacts to be interviewed + organise an agenda 

- Review collections of photographs and footage from the Barbican + Aylesbury choosing which will be included in experimentation using Final Cut Pro.

Watching documentaries on the topic of Gentrification in London

'VICE Documentary: The Regeneration Game'

From both sides of the story its very easy to create these two dimensional points of view, the people investing and developing need to come to a sense of realism of when they discuss the development of these fancy new regenerations. They must take the time to try and empathise with those left on the outside, those being evicted out of their homes against their will.

On the outside its difficult to empathise with the investors on the inside as they just hold the idea that their sole aim is to knock down homes and build to replace them, with the goal of earning more and more money.

For me the solution would be conversation, to being a sense of realism back to both sides of the story. One which are the wealthy in control and making more money and the other which have nothing but their voices to fight for their homes with.

WED 1 | 03 | 2017

Independent research week - Visit to Aylesbury estate

Visiting Aylesbury and observing the borders which have recently been put up, struck emotions of fear and hopelessness, as  especially being one person, I felt that there was nothing I could verbally say or physically do to stop this process or at least slow it down.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4r2NY2GyENYdnd5OEZPcWFDVXc/view?usp=sharing

Recognising the impact of regeneration on the city of London, I strongly feel that it is important that I raise awareness and understand as to what the council is getting away with right under our noses. East London, being one of the areas that has been most affected by the process of Gentrification, I aim to visit sites and estates such as Newham estate and Trellick Tower to name a few.

Firstly, starting my journey through London with one of Europe's largest council estates, Aylesbury Estate. As I used to live in Aylesbury, I felt this would add a very personal feel to the work I generate, also helping me connect with the resident who still live on the estate as I have plans to conduct interviews as a means of gathering more information.

I planned to visit the many buildings across the span of the estate which I now only live 15 minutes away from. Taking my camera along with me, I gathered some footage of the many council blocks which I will later include as my b-roll footage for my documentary.

I made sure to capture a few still shots as well as long videos where I slowly span across the width of the block from a distance away, as well as up close.  This is especially important as I plan to create several short videos, each where I portray a different story through the estate, showing different perspectives. For example up close making the building look very intimidating, dull and dangerous.

download.php?file=2845007&embedded=1&texdownload.php?file=2845021&embedded=1&tex

Another where I portray the estate as a ghost town right in the middle of South London, where a community which once existed has been destroyed and sold off for profit. Another way I found I could create these effects was through post-production and sing the element of colour grading as an aspect of cinematography.

In contrast, I wished to challenge myself and produce a short film where I transform the run down and lifeless area into a 1920s themed video, featuring upbeat and lively music with a monochrome black and white filter. This will make it easier to hide the fact that even in colour the scene is just as lifeless. A fourth video plan consists of warm and comforting colours to bring the concrete buildings to life, through colour grading and lively modern music. A sight that would highlight the power of juxtaposition and the ability to bring back to life the community which was once there but since has been dismembered.

TUES 28 | 02 | 2017

ACTION PLAN FOR PART 3

Visual experimentation with footage

-Should have thought of at least two outcomes by this evening (Horror, 1920s themed silent movie, positive and lively?)

-Create short trailers using footage from Aylesbury visit

Gallery visits - reflections

• Exposure to different methods
  • Looking for artists working within same territories as myself, or artists which don’t work
  • Be open to a lot of different exhibitions

Sketchbook: Thinking in the moment, annotation

Record of methodology

Sketches

Diagrammatic response

Collage

Composition experiment

Models

Calculations - to conduct work, evidence for thinking

Sequential imagery (Time based)

Records of interviews

Emails/letters of contact to companies/artists

MON 27 | 02 | 2017

Library research

Discussion about project proposal with tutor

After having a one to one discussion with my tutor for the day, Alan, I explained to him how I planned to incorporate my personal experience of living in a London council flat. Further elaborating on how I plan to highlight the problem of gentrification going on in London along with the housing crisis we are currently facing. This discussion helped me as Alan gave me the advice of not become too overwhelmed with such a controversial issue, by focusing on the personal aspect without wandering too far from the project brief.

As a part of my research I began to watch documentaries made in the UK as well as in the US about the regeneration of urban areas of London and other places such as Harlem, New York.

ACTION PLAN

Overlook on independent research week, tasks still to be done

-refine and complete PPP

-Finish books on bibliography + possibly add more?

Conduct research in library:
- Investigate methodology for audio on documentary

- Technically planning a documentary

- Interview preparation behind the scenes and while filming

- Location visit to Aylesbury estate, planning through 4D (Photography and film)

Think of brief ideas for short films on Gentrification

The start of the regeneration process

Flash animation

FRI 24 | 02 | 2017

First Interview

Length: 14:21:66

Date: 12/3/17

__________________________________

M: How would you feel if someone was to suddenly inform you that within 3 months, you'll be evicted from your home and possibly placed in housing outside of London?

P: I'd feel emotions of anger and sadness...

M: What are your fist impressions of the words Gentrification?

P: Um... it just sounds very general to me... I thought it was a term to do with generalising or stereotyping because of the "Gen-" part of the word whereas the "-trification" sounds like the action of improvement, I think that's helpful to show how people are mislead by the term.

In terms of London's housing crisis, to me it basically means is where people take advantage of others for their own gain or benefit, rather than actually caring about their...

M:  Their well being?

P: Yeah, it's like they're more concerned about the buildings and they just place the people i them anywhere, almost disposing of them as problems to get out of the way, instead of them trying to preserve the community.

In a way it seems like they're building and carrying out these projects so people can have better housing but those people-, I mean it would make more sense if they built those houses as replacement for the residents that lived there before. Because it doesn't make sense to demolish and move people out of their houses, only to build more houses which are too expensive to live in anyway.

M: It's interesting aswell because the developers that invest in these projects are from across the globe and not where the land their putting money into is. What is your opinion on that?

P: It's like they care more about the money in comparison to the families and the households that live there... it seems easiy comparable to White collar crime.

Gentrification IS a form of white collar crime.

M: I agree, those developers from countries like China and others are not aware of the headache this process causes to the communities which are being destroyed.

P: Even if they do, they still don't care as long as their making a profit from it.

If you're going to do this gentrification thing then you might as well place the families back or try building on new land where no one was living before rather than kicking people out and no caring what happens to them whether they end up homeless, depressed or dead. It just doesn't make sense, its just very selfish and greedy.

M: Another question, does the fact that a majority of the households evicted are displaced outside London where its cheaper to live trigger any thoughts? 

P: Just the other day I was on a bus heading in the direction of Elephant & Castle. I was shocked to see that in the distance all you could see were cranes and scaffoldings, when once you were able to clearly see the sky with the absence of machinery.

M: I wonder how many new tall skyscrapers have risen up in Elephant in the past year... That there is Gentrification

P: It almost feels as if they're competing rather than thinking about the real problems going on right now. Laws exist so they can protect people and make sure that they're safe, yet this isn't classed as a crime? Why? 

M: It's true, does this relate to other forms of discrimination? 

P: I feel it does, it's like Racism, it can almost be seen as a hate crime. For me, Gentrification is still a crime. If we look at the Race war thats been going on for decades, people focused on that issue a lot more but now we have a new war going on now, the war of the housing crisis, the war to live.

First interview - The term "REGENERATION"

Taken from a discussion I had with my younger sister, Pamella Cofie. 

M: If you were to discuss the housing crisis with a developer and use the word "Gentrification", it would be interpreted as a dirty or forbidden word due to negative connotations. Similar to a situation where there is conflict between people of two different backgrounds and the word "Racism" is used. All the term "Gentrification" is missing is the "-ism" behind it,  but it's just as discriminatory to the victims it creates.

In comparison, the term "Regeneration" sounds much more inviting

P: It sounds fresh but... its very manipulative 

M: Meaning to take something old and run down and completely renovating it into something new, fresh and positive.

P: But is it beneficial? 

M: Thats the main question...

Looking outside our window right now, how many scaffoldings and cranes can you see?

The reason why I asked you if you noticed anything particular in the way people are made to move out of London and to cheaper areas of the UK, is because I'm certain that it is to do with race. I'm not trying to say that all immigrants are poor or destined to be, but thats the reality of it.

Just referring to the term 'Immigration', meaning the influx of people from another country to a new country, to migrate means to move to a new area to reside. Choosing to move to a new country is difficult especially in terms of job prospects, I've always noticed that most of the cleaners I've seen are Latino or Black.

P: The reason why those living in council homes are seen as poor, due to their status of working class members of society.

M: With their salaries, council homes provided an affordable place to live and raise their families, especially with soaring rent prices. I feel this is the council's method of trying to "Wash" or rid London of those in poverty-

P: Almost like saying "If you can't afford to live here anymore then bye, then the rich that can afford to live in these skyscrapers, come and live"

M: Thats why people say Gentrification is the new Colonialism.

__________________________________________

Thinking about this topic, its as if those in power want all the rich people to come and live in London and all the poor people should leave London, as a means of making it more of a wealthy and glamorous city to tourists and foreigners visiting London from across the globe. However, that wouldn't be the reality as they would be deceiving people more and more, causing the deception to spread but no one really understands that those who were in poverty left as they needed a better life away from London. 

So you end up with a situation where the council don't care as long as the citizens are out and still living. The developers don't care as long as they're still making a profit. Really thinking about areas like Peckham, you don't see any rich middle class living there. The places they first choose to generate depend on how concentrated the area is culturally. For example, areas of East London like Newham.

THURS 23 | 02 | 2017

Interview preparation

The G word: Gentrification and its many meanings

Main discussion of interview: The war to live/ The Poor VS Rich

Gentrification can be seen as the 'New Colonialism'. From my first interview with younger sister, we established that Gentrification has sparked a new war. We also described Gentrification/Regeneration is a form of discrimination, specifically an act of White Collar crime.

Therefore, racial profiling is a factor of gentrification which is hidden under the rug and dismissed. Due to the diversity of London, it is evident and sometimes wrongly assumed by the council that a majority of the population in poverty or categorised as working class are immigrants.

Hence why "Urban" areas of London are intentionally run down, for example Heygate estate, as a means of providing an excuse to carry out regeneration on the area, otherwise seen as the process of "Ethnic cleansing".

WED 22 | 02 | 2017

Writing interview script

What do you think think gentrification is influenced by?
EG: Racial profiling

How does race influence decisions made on Gentrification?

Are their any stories or experiences which could illustrate your point further?

Have you ever had an experience with the process of eviction/Gentrification?

Have you ever experienced displacement in life? Any stories?

-A gateway into talking about housing

What do you think of the phrase "Being punished for wanting to better yourself"

Would you view Gentrification as a form of white collar crime?

Put yourself in the shoes of a victim of Gentrification?

Who's fault do you think it is for people being displaced? What would be a possible solution?

21/2/17

Flash animation

TUES 21 | 02 | 2017

Visit to the Barbican Centre Estate

Recently taking a trip to the Barbican Centre Estate, in comparison to the Aylesbury Estate, the first thing I realised was aesthetically more effort has been dedicated to making this estate look like a home. Plants used to embellish and complement the brownish tone of concrete. Water fountains amongst a pond which stretched out throughout the whole estate, made the area appear more elegant and graceful. There was also a gallery within the centre which gave the estate an increased value in comparison to others, from this I would draw the conclusion that the Barbican Centre Estate is valued as a middle class estate located in the middle of Central London.

Therefore, wouldn't be viewed by the council as an eyesore in need of being demolished. I found this alone particularly interesting in comparison to the ways Aylesbury and other estates in areas of East London have been viewed and frowned upon as modern day ghettos.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4r2NY2GyENYQ24zRlBfTWxBaEk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4r2NY2GyENYX1dKSjZEbktqblE/view?usp=sharing

Although, I still felt like the deeper I ventured into the estate, the further I felt like I was traveling away from the busy life of London, no sound of police car or ambulance sirens, no sounds of car horns beeping or people talking loudly on the phone. The same feeling I felt when visiting Aylesbury, although there were still signs of life life dogs barking and the faint sound of babies crying, the area felt visually isolating and secluded.

MON 20 | 02 | 2017

“Hamilton creates relatable characters with heartbreak and breakthroughs that resonate. Each of the eight short stories in this collection is a keeper. Hamilton paints a New York you recognize, even if you have never set foot in the city. These same people are in your city, struggling to live the same dreams.”–Curledup.com , Zane Ewton (4 ½ stars) Recommended

"Most of the stories are told in third-person, and one could almost believe Hamilton is still working in creative nonfiction, chronicling the lives of his fellow East Villagers. The stories are just long enough for the reader to relax into the characters, but Hamilton rightly changes focus before we can grow tired of his subjects.

There is a good dash of romance to be found in these stories, although the love tends to lean toward second chances, and long simmering affection that gently blooms more than explodes.

The tales in “Chintz Age” are often simultaneously elegiac and hopeful. The bohemian New York of our collective imagination is dying, but Hamilton suggests that maybe something new can be born in its place, if we are brave enough to imagine it."―Eli Keel, LEO Weekly

“Hamilton creates relatable characters with heartbreak and breakthroughs that resonate. Each of the eight short stories in this collection is a keeper. Hamilton paints a New York you recognize, even if you have never set foot in the city. These same people are in your city, struggling to live the same dreams.” -www.curledup.com , Zane Ewton (4 ½ stars)

"Ed Hamilton’s accounts of gentrification in The Chintz Age are not black and white. Importantly, The Chintz Age is short fiction, and short stories―unlike case studies―allow a writer to present ambiguous characters and situations. And Hamilton does this. His bohemians―of the East Village/Lower East Side of New York City―are not utterly the salt of the earth. His gentrifiers are hardly ogres...

And get thee a copy of The Chintz Age! It is a captivating account of the consequences of free market capitalism gone greedily amok." -The Thomas Opinions, Thomas Gagnon

"Hamilton has an uncanny ability to show how the inroads of time, age, etc.. forces choices in our lives. His characters find some sort of redemption, and keep on keepin' on. Highly recommended."-Boston Area Small Press and Poetry Scene, Doug Holder

"We are introduced to a fascinating cast of characters, diverse within the somewhat homogeneous subset of “original” New Yorkers, including a used bookstore owner, a once-famous photographer, a musician who is moonlighting as a bellboy at a Chelsea Hotel-esque dive, a couple whose apartment overlooks the Highline, and a group of women whose number one goal is to meet men who have rent-controlled apartments. Some are hanging on by a thread in order to stay here, while others are on their way out. And some have already left.

Set in dive bars, flophouses and condemned buildings, the book is completely engrossing, feeling as though we had been to these fictional places and had met – and perhaps sympathized with – most of these characters in real life."
-Bowery Boogie, Lori Greenberg

WED 08 | 02 | 2017

After watch VICE's documentary of Gentrification in London

The skyline of london is evolving and changing at an accelerated speed

- compared to a nature film by David Attenborough about the return of spring to the canadian tundra

Prices of housing all across London have gone up by 20% in the last year = resulting in a colodsal demand for affordable homes

Original dream of council houses was to move working classes out of overcrowded slums and into revolutionary architecture

Council houses when seen trendy were viewed as futuristuc streets in the sky but in present day the post-war dream of urban rebewal has turned sour

Yhe number of council houses in London has fallen by a third in the last year despite a million more people migrating into the city affecting everyone

Council estates which still exist are gradually being emptied caused by government eviction for redevelopment of the land. This shows the higest bidders (developers) winning as the people are losing and fighting back

E15 Focus -
Campaign for social housing
"SOCIAL HOUSING NOT SOCIAL CLEANSING"

F - ocus on the future,
O - on housing,
C - ommunity...
U - nited we are STRONG
S - ecure future for ALL

Their motto is "London for EVERYONE not just the rich"

They caught the attention of the media and the public sparking fires all across the city